Click the button below to sign up online.
Every spring, thousands of teens across the country celebrate a rite of passage: the high school prom. Sadly, many teens miss out on this experience because their families simply cannot afford it. More than a decade ago, the Allegheny County Department of Human Services (DHS) stepped in to help by creating Project Prom. Through the efforts of DHS and the generosity of individuals and retailers, Project Prom enables eligible* teens to “shop” for free prom gowns, shoes and accessories. And beginning with the 2017 Prom Season, NCJW is joining forces with DHS to operate Project Prom in our beautiful Thriftique in Lawrenceville.
The Project Prom boutique offers hundreds of gowns in every imaginable color, size, and style, mostly brand new and from well-known designers. Volunteers will help each young woman find her perfect dress and accessories, and shoppers are welcome to bring a friend or family member to share in the experience.
Project Prom 2017
- Saturday, March 18, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Tuesday, March 21, 9:00 am to 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Wednesday, March 22, 9:00 am to 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Thursday, March 23, 9:00 am to 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- Saturday, March 25, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
at Thriftique (map)
125 51st Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Eligible shoppers are encouraged to make an appointment by calling 412-742-4951. When visiting the Project Prom boutique, shoppers should be prepared to show a valid student ID.
If you’d like to participate in this heart-warming event, we’d love to have you. There are several ways you can volunteer:
- Pre-Event: Help to unpack and inventory dresses and accessories; set up the boutique salon to make shopping a memorable experience; or help with minor repairs (we have a few gowns that are in need of hooks or zippers)
- Project Prom Greeters, Shopping Assistants, Runners, Seamstresses and Stylists: Help welcome our young guests, assist them in choosing an outfit from among our 1000+ pieces, and refresh the boutique for new groups of shoppers . Volunteer for one shift, or all five!
- Post-Event: Assist with the clean-up and assessment of remaining inventory so that we can be ready to prepare for next year’s event.
Click below to sign up to volunteer!
If you have a have a new prom, bridesmaid or formal gown (short or long, size 0-26) that would appeal to a 15-18-year-old, please consider donating it to Project Prom. We especially need size 16 and larger. Project Prom also accepts evening bags, jewelry, wraps and shoes. Items may be labelled for Project Prom and dropped off at Thriftique or at the NCJW office in Squirrel Hill (1620 Murray Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15217) during normal business hours.
If you are a retailer or wholesaler and are able to make a donation, please call Thriftique to arrange for pick-up or drop off.
Financial donations are also welcome. While donations account for many of the gowns given away, plus sizes are typically in high demand and each year additional dresses must be purchased to ensure we have adequate supply. Donations can be made online by clicking the button below or mailed to NCJW at the address above, made payable to NCJW Pittsburgh Section, and clearly marked for Project Prom.
You are eligible to shop for a free prom gown and accessories if you
- receive services through child welfare (for example, receive CYF in-home services or live in a foster home or a group home)
- live in a homeless shelter or transitional or bridge housing program
- receive mental health services
- receive service related to intellectual disability
- receive substance use disorder (drug & alcohol) treatment
Or if you or a household member
- receives food assistance from a food pantry
- receives utility assistance
- receives or is eligible to receive free or reduced-price school lunches
- receives unemployment benefits
- is in military active duty or a veteran